Brian’s Blog was created for all of his friends, family, fans, and community members who are cheering him on in his fight against leukemia. Brian graduated from HHS in May of this year. Many people know Brian due to his leadership, sportsmanship, and outstanding athletic achievements including three state championships in wrestling, a state football championship, state discus champion 2011 and varsity track and soccer teams. He had received a call to serve a full-time mission to Uruguay and was planning to start his mission at the end of the month. After completing his mission to Uruguay, Brian planned to play football at SUU where he has already received a full-ride scholarship. Brian was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) on Tuesday October 2nd. That very day he was taken to Salt Lake City for intensive inpatient care. He has been receiving chemotherapy, blood transfusions, and other treatments. We hope and pray that Brian will recover with the help of competent medical care. Doctors say that there is an 80% chance that Brian’s cancer will respond favorably to treatment. Thank you so much for your support. We will keep you updated regularly on Brian’s progress.
Update: On January 14, 2014, Brian passed away after a 15 1/2 month battle with leukemia. He was in remission following the first series of chemotherapy treatments for only 3 months, in spite of earlier optimism. Another harder hitting chemotherapy began in June with the intention of following with a bone marrow transplant but instead, alternative treatments in Colorado Springs and later Atlanta were chosen. Those also were unsuccessful, too little too late. In November he underwent yet more chemotherapy in Denver. The leukemia did not respond. Brian returned home to Southern Utah friends and family on December 12, 2013. Leukemia took his mortal life, but it can't touch his spirit.

Saturday, October 27, 2012

October 27, 2012
 Today was another beautiful autumn day in Salt Lake.  Brian has had some close friends and family drop by and some good times the last couple days.  I think he is a bit tired after it all as he is now having a early evening nap.  He has been feeling well and in good spirits,  gaining a little weight back, even getting workouts in his room with physical therapy.  They work him pretty well.  Still waiting for the counts to come up, but that's OK.  We can deal with this. Kind of funny...from his room we can see the lights and giant video screen tonight at Rice-Eccles Stadium (University of Utah), where the "U" is playing  California  It was just a year ago, in a couple weeks, that we came up here to watch Brian and the HHS Tigers play Spanish Fork in the state football championship semi-finals, and again the next game for the championship.  That stadium holds a lot of big memories for our family, starting back in 2005. I think about those times every time I drive by... special memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment