Brian’s Blog was created for all of his friends, family, fans, and community members who are cheering him on in his fight against leukemia. Brian graduated from HHS in May of this year. Many people know Brian due to his leadership, sportsmanship, and outstanding athletic achievements including three state championships in wrestling, a state football championship, state discus champion 2011 and varsity track and soccer teams. He had received a call to serve a full-time mission to Uruguay and was planning to start his mission at the end of the month. After completing his mission to Uruguay, Brian planned to play football at SUU where he has already received a full-ride scholarship. Brian was diagnosed with Acute Myelogenous Leukemia (AML) on Tuesday October 2nd. That very day he was taken to Salt Lake City for intensive inpatient care. He has been receiving chemotherapy, blood transfusions, and other treatments. We hope and pray that Brian will recover with the help of competent medical care. Doctors say that there is an 80% chance that Brian’s cancer will respond favorably to treatment. Thank you so much for your support. We will keep you updated regularly on Brian’s progress.
Update: On January 14, 2014, Brian passed away after a 15 1/2 month battle with leukemia. He was in remission following the first series of chemotherapy treatments for only 3 months, in spite of earlier optimism. Another harder hitting chemotherapy began in June with the intention of following with a bone marrow transplant but instead, alternative treatments in Colorado Springs and later Atlanta were chosen. Those also were unsuccessful, too little too late. In November he underwent yet more chemotherapy in Denver. The leukemia did not respond. Brian returned home to Southern Utah friends and family on December 12, 2013. Leukemia took his mortal life, but it can't touch his spirit.

Sunday, November 24, 2013

Moving Out of the ICU Today

Brian has been making progress each day in the ICU.  Brian got the drain tube out from his surgery yesterday, and is doing well with breathing exercises.  He is sleeping a lot better lately, making up for a month of little sleep, and  bad sleep at that because the meds would give him nightmares again and again.  His tongue is swollen, and throat still very painful, but he manages to get liquid supplements down. Anything by mouth takes a major effort, but his mind is clear, and while he is sleepy from the meds, he "gets" it... and does what he has to do to get better.  Every day is a day closer to recovery.
This afternoon they are moving him back to the BMT unit, to a regular room. They said room 1124.  I think it has a south facing window ...more sun!

1 comment:

  1. Jane - your Toquerville neighbors through the fence are praying for both of you. We are thankful for the good news in this post.
    The Foran Family